Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Value of Self-Learning

Last year, I enrolled in Basic Fitness Instructor’s Course conducted by Fitphil (Fitness Network of the Philippines). It was a challenging experience to learn about scientific stuff like anatomy, exercise physiology, kinesiology, nutrition, exercise programming, etc. etc. etc. – things alien for a European Languages major like me. For one, I had to memorize the skeletal and muscular parts of the human body.
At the end of 10 sessions, I had to take and pass the written and practical exams. I remember my husband would ask me, "Are you really serious about this?" He meant rising up early to go to class every Saturday, from Paranaque to Diliman, Quezon City… plus miss out on the kids. I guess I was determined to finish the course because I did receive my certification last November! So how did I do it? What ever did I get from riding and squeezing into the MRT every Saturday morning and learning from this class?

1. New Relationships

As a habit, the teacher would almost always ask about your name and why you're in the class you enrolled in, as a way to break the ice and get everybody introduce themselves to one another on the first day. I felt somehow out of place because I had no background in science. Some of my classmates were nurses, doctors, already fitness instructors, if not aspiring instructors. But the good news is that I found other people outside my usual circle, yet we share the same interest – and that is fitness. It’s fun to discover the differences you can have with other people, and yet you do and can agree on one thing.

2. Self-Reliance

One of my realizations as I attended the course was that I relied too much on others. I relied on the gym to provide me a place where I can workout. I relied on advertisements telling me which products are best for my health. I relied on other people to do my exercise programme and diet plan. I relied so much, it hurt. Relying too much on others won’t get you anywhere. Education is the key to independence. Learn more, and be more independent.

3. More appreciation

When you understand what you are doing, you get to appreciate it even more. When you don’t know why you’re exercising, chances are you won’t do it anymore. The more I learned about fitness, the more I wanted to be fit. The more I understand about my body, the more I wanted to care for it.

4. Humility

Before, I didn’t appreciate fitness instructors much. I didn’t think they know so much. Maybe partly because the instructors I met were usually from some of the major gyms where things done (measurements, screening, programming) weren’t usually explained well to clients. There was this one extraordinary instructor I met who came from a small gym, almost unknown, yet he displayed the true characteristics of an effective instructor. As I recall how he used to motivate me to become more active, I realize how much he knew about his profession. It’s a humbling experience to know how much one should know as a fitness professional, and I’m only talking "personal trainers". For group exercise instructors, it’s an even greater challenge to move and talk at the same time!

5. Opportunity to share

Just like they say, "Health is wealth." But it would even be greater wealth if I could teach it to others. As Proverbs 22 :9 says, "A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor." You too can be a blessing to others by sharing what you have.

In the process of learning, you not only find what you are looking for, you also discover greater things so long as you keep an open mind and heart.
If you want to receive updates,
Click here to subscribe to my feeds
or subscribe via email.
Please enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment